Skip to main content

Skid Row at the Waterfront November 2013

There are a few things I’ve waited twenty years for and I’ve written about some of them on this blog. In August 1992 I was on holiday with my parents. I don’t remember where, but I remember the cottage we stayed in and my sister’s radio that we listened to Atlantic radio on constantly. I knew one of my friends from school was at Donington Monsters of Rock and that they were broadcasting it on Radio 1. So I sneaked away to my bedroom and try to tune it in. Radio 1 reception was awful. Thunder were playing, but I soon got frustrated with the sound quality. When I got back to Norwich I started “collecting” the albums by all the bands who played:

  • Iron Maiden
  • Skid Row
  • Thunder
  • Slayer
  • WASP
  • The Almighty

and soon they all became firm favorites of mine. In the twenty one years since 1992 I have seen all of these bands multiple times, except for Skid Row. I went to my first Monsters of Rock in 1994 (Aerosmith headlined) and I went again in 1996 (Kiss and Ozzy), but I missed 1995 when Skid Row played again and some time after Sebastian Bach, the incredible front man, left the band never to return.

In 2005 I attended the first every Bloodstock Open Air. Children of Bodom and Sebastian Bach headlined, but of course no Skid Row. He was incredible (as were Children of Bodom who are playing Bloodstock again this year) and of course did Youth Gone Wild and the other classics. Superb!

Fast forward to November 2013 and Skid Row are playing a double headliner with Ugly Kid Joe at the Waterfront in Norwich. I have moaned about the appalling quality of the Waterfront PA many, many times, but for some reason tonight they hit the sweet spot.

The support band Dead City Ruins were ok, but not worth getting excited about.

My concern about Ugly Kid Joe was that they’d do Everything About You and Cats In The Cradle and a load of fillers. Plus I’ve only got their first album (America’s Least Wanted) so haven’t kept up with their later stuff. I couldn’t have been more wrong. What an act! Musically very good and Whitfield Crane had a calm charisma which had the whole audience eating out of his hand all the way through. Who cares if they’re in their forties! I haven’t bounced up and down so much since I was in my early twenties.

Then the moment I’d been waiting upwards of twenty years for arrived. Original line-up, minus Seb, plus a new singler, who wasn’t as tall. First impressions were that they looked like spitting image characters of their younger selves. That didn’t matter because after the opener that I’d never heard before it was straight into classic after classic with only a small scattering of material from albums I didn’t know. In fact the only way the set could have been better was if they’d played their eponymous first album all the through followed by Slave To The Grind all the way through. They played superbly, but Seb’s replacement baffled me a little. He lacked Seb’s charisma and struggled to follow Whitfield Crane a little. Vocally he seemed to have the range, but not all of the time. He backed out of the first chorus during In A Darkened Room and then hit it almost perfectly the second and subsequent times.

It was certainly worth the wait and I wasn’t disappointed. Beyond a set consisting of the first two albums, the only way it could have been better would have been to have Seb back in the band. That’s probably about as likely as Fish back in Marillion or even freddie back in Queen.

Roll on Amon Amarth, Hell and the mighty Carcass on Sunday!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Write Your Own Load Balancer: A worked Example

I was out walking with a techie friend of mine I’d not seen for a while and he asked me if I’d written anything recently. I hadn’t, other than an article on data sharing a few months before and I realised I was missing it. Well, not the writing itself, but the end result. In the last few weeks, another friend of mine, John Cricket , has been setting weekly code challenges via linkedin and his new website, https://codingchallenges.fyi/ . They were all quite interesting, but one in particular on writing load balancers appealed, so I thought I’d kill two birds with one stone and write up a worked example. You’ll find my worked example below. The challenge itself is italics and voice is that of John Crickets. The Coding Challenge https://codingchallenges.fyi/challenges/challenge-load-balancer/ Write Your Own Load Balancer This challenge is to build your own application layer load balancer. A load balancer sits in front of a group of servers and routes client requests across all of the serv

Catalina-Ant for Tomcat 7

I recently upgraded from Tomcat 6 to Tomcat 7 and all of my Ant deployment scripts stopped working. I eventually worked out why and made the necessary changes, but there doesn’t seem to be a complete description of how to use Catalina-Ant for Tomcat 7 on the web so I thought I'd write one. To start with, make sure Tomcat manager is configured for use by Catalina-Ant. Make sure that manager-script is included in the roles for one of the users in TOMCAT_HOME/conf/tomcat-users.xml . For example: <tomcat-users> <user name="admin" password="s3cr£t" roles="manager-gui, manager-script "/> </tomcat-users> Catalina-Ant for Tomcat 6 was encapsulated within a single JAR file. Catalina-Ant for Tomcat 7 requires four JAR files. One from TOMCAT_HOME/bin : tomcat-juli.jar and three from TOMCAT_HOME/lib: catalina-ant.jar tomcat-coyote.jar tomcat-util.jar There are at least three ways of making the JARs available to Ant: Copy the JARs into th

Bloodstock 2009

This year was one of the best Bloodstock s ever, which surprised me as the line up didn't look too strong. I haven't come away with a list of bands I want to buy all the albums of, but I did enjoy a lot of the performances. Insomnium[6] sound a lot like Swallow the Sun and Paradise Lost. They put on a very good show. I find a lot of old thrash bands quite boring, but Sodom[5] were quite good. They could have done with a second guitarist and the bass broke in the first song and it seemed to take ages to get it fixed. Saxon[8] gave us some some classic traditional heavy metal. Solid, as expected. The best bit was, following the guitarist standing on a monitor, Biff Bifford ripped off the sign saying "DO NOT STAND" and showed it to the audience. Once their sound was sorted, Arch Enemy[10] stole the show. They turned out not only to be the best band of the day, but of the festival, but then that's what you'd expect from Arch Enemy. Carcass[4] were very disappoin