Wednesday, 27 June 2018
When: Monday 2nd July @ 5.30pm
Where: The Library Restuarant, 4A Guildhall Hill, Norwich NR2 1JH
How the employer voice can influence technical & vocational training and apprenticeships in the digital and IT skills sector over the next 5 years.
Jerry White - Deputy Principal at City College Norwich
The Government’s agenda for the wider field of technical and vocational education alongside apprenticeships is changing. As a large FE College and apprenticeship provider we believe that employers are central to this process and our aim this evening is to start meaningful dialogue into how we can enable employers to both support and challenge us as we launch the new T Level curriculum and apprenticeship standards. We want to hear from you about the challenges you have in recruiting employees and how we can work together to fill the gap and make a difference to the next generation.
The goal of the session is to begin to investigate where local businesses could help us trial the industrial placement model and how we can develop our working relationship over a number of years and ask you as employers what should our curriculum look like?'
Wednesday, 20 June 2018
When: 28 June 2018, 9am to 4.45pm
Where: The Kings Centre, Kings Street, Norwich, NR1 1PH
How much: £150
WordPress is the world’s best and most popular website builder and this hands-on course takes you through from the basics, including installation and set up, to cover all the most useful features and tools WordPress offers. Whether you already have a site and want to manage it properly or are starting completely from scratch, this is the course for you.
You will learn to
- set up and run a great website of your own
- add content, images and videos
- add structure and navigation menus
- apply an attractive design using easy templates
- make the site search engine friendly
- add contact forms, maps and take payments
- add social networking and track visitorslearn to add all the features and functionality you need to run and develop a fantastic website
- and much, much more…
How the course works
- Please bring your own laptop: PC, Mac or Chromebook, any is fine. Or you can hire a laptop for the day here.
- WiFi and power sockets are provided
- No experience is needed – WordPress is incredibly easy to pick up and you will be free to go at your own pace throughout the day.
- All training materials will be provided after the course, so there need be no fear of “falling behind”.This is an intensive course and assumes a reasonable working knowledge of using computers and the internet, even if you have little or no prior knowledge of WordPress. If you are comfortable with using email, copy/paste, saving files/folders and navigating the internet, you should be fine! (see more advice in our FAQ here)
- After the course you are welcome to stay around for further discussion with your trainer Toby and with each other, about WordPress, about your website and about your business.
- After the course, you will be sent all the course materials and clear instructions for setting up your site on its own domain name (old or new). You will have a year of free hosting, after which time it is from just £8/mo for unlimited space and bandwidth.
More details here (https://wpcourses.co.uk/wordpress-training-courses/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0bSL8tTR1wIVSjobCh2A9gVdEAAYASAAEgJLnfD_BwE).
Sunday, 10 June 2018
When: Wednesday, 20 June 20 - 9:00am to 4:45pm
Where: Kings Centre, King Street, Norwich, NR1 1PH
How much: £85
If you would like to start using the worlds most popular PHP framework, this is the workshop for you.
We will cover from installing Laravel to building a basic application. Everyone will learn along as we go from a freshly installed Laravel application up to creating a basic web app that interacts with a database.
We will aim to cover the following (subject to change and class experience)
- Using Blade (templating)
- Using Eloquent (database ORM)
- Laravel inbuilt Auth
- Artisan (CLI commands)
- File Storage
Simon Bennett is a Software Consultant who works with Laravel daily, helping clients update there development practices and coding software for startups. He also runs his own SAAS for backing up DigitalOcean servers which of course is all built with basic Laravel.
This beginners workshop will run through simple code as we learn about Laravel.
Basic knowledge of PHP is required, I would recommend you know you know basic OOP.
To save time on the day, you will be contacted directly before the workshop with a guide on setting up docker. The reason we use docker is to make sure we are using identical environments on Windows/Mac/Linux.
Since Laravel used to build web-based applications (mostly), it would be helpful to a basic understanding of developing websites in PHP and MySQL.
- Bring your Laptop
- Have Docker installed
- A good IDE like PHPStorm is strongly recommended
- Working command terminal
- A GIT client installed
TechNorwich: The End. A Story & New beginnings
Whitespace is sadly now having to close. Started in 2013, it was the first and largest co-working space in Norwich. Its been home to many great & successful businesses, plus home to Barclays Eagle Labs and birthplace of TechVelocity, the first accelerator for the region. Come along to this event to have a drink to remember some of the history, catch up with some of the great businesses that have lived here and discuss on the future of the amazing digital creative & tech sector in our fine city.
Get your ticket: https://technorwich.eventbrite.co.uk