When: Thursday, January 22, 2015 @ 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM
Where: The King's Centre, King Street, Norwich, NR1 1PH
Price: GBP150.00/per person
Sign-up: via meetup or email firstname.lastname@example.org
This course is given by WP Courses.
This course teaches you all the basics of building, running and marketing websites using WordPress, the world’s leading website solution. In one day, you will build your own stunning website, which will be hosted free for one year. The course runs from 9.30am to 5pm and is limited to 12 places.
About the course
We cover everything from WordPress installation and set up to all the most useful features and tools WordPress offers. You get a brand new site to work on through the day, which you will practise on and make your own. You will apply an attractive design, make the site search engine friendly and add all the features and functionality you need to further develop and run the site yourself.
Get your own domain name.
After the course, we can set your site up on any UK domain name of your choice, brand new or an existing one you already own. You can keep the site after the course, hosted free for one year. After that, hosting is available from just £8/mo for our standard WordPress hosting package – see more details of our hosting packages here.
How the course works
- Please bring your own laptop with WiFi. Wireless broadband and power sockets are provided.
- WordPress is incredibly easy to pick up and you will be free to go at your own pace throughout the day. All training materials will be provided after the course, so there need be no fear of “falling behind”.
- This is an intensive course and assumes a reasonable working knowledge of using computers and the internet, even if you have little or no prior knowledge of WordPress. If you are comfortable with using email, copy/paste, saving files/folders and navigating the internet, you should be fine!
- Arrive at 9.30am to get online, and for tea and coffee ready for a 9.45am start . We will cover all the basics of WordPress and have your own site up and running before lunch!
- After a break for lunch, we’ll go through everything WordPress can do in more detail. You will learn how to control the structure, look and feel and add essential features like pages, text/images and forms. Learn how to track visitors, get ranked well on search engines, take easy PayPal payments on your site and much, much more.
- The course ends around 4.30pm and you will be invited to stay around for further discussion with Toby and with each other, about WordPress, about your website and about your business. Toby will be around after the course to give you further advice and guidance about your site.
- After the course, you will be sent all the course materials and clear instructions for setting up your site on its own domain name (old or new). You will have a year of free hosting, then you have the option to continue for just £8/mo. See more details on our great value WordPress hosting here.
9.30am – Arrive for tea, coffee and to get online.
9.45am – Introduction to WordPress
10 am – You are guided through setting up your new website
1pm – Lunch (Not provided)
1.45pm – Course resumes
5pm – Course ends. You are invited to stick around for further assistance with WordPress, with your site and general networking over drinks.L
WordPress Training Course – Topics Covered
- Introduction to WordPress
- Installation and Set Up
- Admin Panel, Settings and Basic Configuration
- Posts and Pages
- Categories and Tags
- Users, Links and Comments
- Themes and Plugins
- Theme Frameworks
- Why and how to use the Genesis framework
- Menus and Widgets
- Images and Videos
- Galleries and Portfolios
- Contact Forms and Maps
- Security, Stability and Backing Up
- Take easy online payments with PayPal
- Tracking – traffic, visitors and site stats
- How to get visitors and “traffic”
- Search Engine Optimisation
- Google’s free tools: Analytics, AdWords, Webmaster Tools, Trends and Keywords
- Blogs and Forums
- Facebook, Twitter and social networking
- RSS Feeds – stream external news and content on your site
- Make your site easy to navigate, accessible and print friendly
- Translate – have your site written in any language for free
- WordPress for the small business
- Making money out of your website