Skip to main content

The Power of Prototyping: Consultancy View


Imagine this scenario: You’re sitting in an initial meeting with a new client and they’ve just explained their requirements to you. Naturally, you’ve explained that you can build everything they’ve asked for and they look pleased. However, they are a new client. They’re new to you and you’re new to them. You haven’t worked together on a project before, so there hasn’t been chance for trust to build up between the two of you. And although you’re confident you can deliver, because you have experience from different aspects of a number of projects you’ve completed in the past, you can’t help wondering if that confidence has fully transferred to the client.

So why not just show them what you’ve done before? There may be at least two reasons. A lot of the work you may have done in the past might be internal to previous clients and therefore cannot be shown to a third party, even under NDA. Another reason might be that you haven’t built some of the specific aspects the new client is asking for before so there is nothing to show.

One solution is to build a basic end-to-end prototype which demonstrates a few key features and/or how a number of key technologies might work together.

For example a client recently came to speak to me and said he was looking for a system which would allow scanned documents to be stored in the cloud, classified and searched for. I have worked on a system in the past that included similar features, but I was unable demonstrate it as it was an internal system belonging to someone else.

To demonstrate that we could fulfil the clients requirements, I spent a few hours building a simple prototype web application which stored scanned documents in a well known cloud storage service, indexed them in an enterprise level search system and could then search for and retrieve them. This was both enjoyable and liberating! I had the opportunity to work with and learn about some technologies in a way I hadn’t before, some of them new to me. As this was a prototype, the functionality was basic and as I knew I’d be throwing it away, I worked without automated tests, continuous integration, static analysis or security.

Once I had something reasonably presentable (using a basic Bootstrap theme) I invited the client in to see the results. He was immediately pleased and excited about the prototype and I felt I had demonstrated that I could deliver his requirements and was reassured that he now had confidence in me. Of course I explained clearly that this wasn’t production ready code by any stretch of the imagination and further development would require investment.

While this demonstrates how powerful a prototype can be, what are the costs? Often no money is paid for prototypes. This means it is very important to do a cost benefit analysis. In the example described above the few hours it took to put the prototype were slotted into free time and the real cost to me was very small, while the benefit was relatively large. This may not be the case for every company or freelancer.

It is important not to give services away for free. You could take this argument to an extreme and say that even discussing requirements with a client is of material benefit to them and should be charged for. This is not what I believe, but is the reason why the prototype is kept basic and nowhere near production ready.

Prototypes are a powerful way of demonstrating what you can do and increasing your knowledge of unfamiliar technologies and how they fit together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Write Your Own Load Balancer: A worked Example

I was out walking with a techie friend of mine I’d not seen for a while and he asked me if I’d written anything recently. I hadn’t, other than an article on data sharing a few months before and I realised I was missing it. Well, not the writing itself, but the end result. In the last few weeks, another friend of mine, John Cricket , has been setting weekly code challenges via linkedin and his new website, https://codingchallenges.fyi/ . They were all quite interesting, but one in particular on writing load balancers appealed, so I thought I’d kill two birds with one stone and write up a worked example. You’ll find my worked example below. The challenge itself is italics and voice is that of John Crickets. The Coding Challenge https://codingchallenges.fyi/challenges/challenge-load-balancer/ Write Your Own Load Balancer This challenge is to build your own application layer load balancer. A load balancer sits in front of a group of servers and routes client requests across all of the serv

Bloodstock 2009

This year was one of the best Bloodstock s ever, which surprised me as the line up didn't look too strong. I haven't come away with a list of bands I want to buy all the albums of, but I did enjoy a lot of the performances. Insomnium[6] sound a lot like Swallow the Sun and Paradise Lost. They put on a very good show. I find a lot of old thrash bands quite boring, but Sodom[5] were quite good. They could have done with a second guitarist and the bass broke in the first song and it seemed to take ages to get it fixed. Saxon[8] gave us some some classic traditional heavy metal. Solid, as expected. The best bit was, following the guitarist standing on a monitor, Biff Bifford ripped off the sign saying "DO NOT STAND" and showed it to the audience. Once their sound was sorted, Arch Enemy[10] stole the show. They turned out not only to be the best band of the day, but of the festival, but then that's what you'd expect from Arch Enemy. Carcass[4] were very disappoin

Catalina-Ant for Tomcat 7

I recently upgraded from Tomcat 6 to Tomcat 7 and all of my Ant deployment scripts stopped working. I eventually worked out why and made the necessary changes, but there doesn’t seem to be a complete description of how to use Catalina-Ant for Tomcat 7 on the web so I thought I'd write one. To start with, make sure Tomcat manager is configured for use by Catalina-Ant. Make sure that manager-script is included in the roles for one of the users in TOMCAT_HOME/conf/tomcat-users.xml . For example: <tomcat-users> <user name="admin" password="s3cr£t" roles="manager-gui, manager-script "/> </tomcat-users> Catalina-Ant for Tomcat 6 was encapsulated within a single JAR file. Catalina-Ant for Tomcat 7 requires four JAR files. One from TOMCAT_HOME/bin : tomcat-juli.jar and three from TOMCAT_HOME/lib: catalina-ant.jar tomcat-coyote.jar tomcat-util.jar There are at least three ways of making the JARs available to Ant: Copy the JARs into th